top of page
  • Writer's pictureAttic Renew

Why You Shouldn't Do Your Mold Remediation Project Yourself

Why You Shouldn't Do Your Mold Remediation Project Yourself

There’s an uncomfortable signal that goes off in our brain when we hear the mention of mold. We immediately imagine the potential repercussions of this pestiferous growth and the rate at which it can spread. Even when we don’t know the technical jargon that accompanies it, we are very much aware that mold doesn’t come with welcome effects. Instead, it charges in and releases harmful, volatile organic compounds—or, VOCs—into our air. These VOCs typically cause the musty scent we associate with mold.

Generally speaking, where there is water, there also lies a high risk for mold to grow. Any leaks in faucets, roofs, pipes, or high levels of humidity can cause mold. If moisture lingers for an extended period of time, the risk of mold growing in your home greatly increases. When mold is given enough time to grow indoors, your concern isn’t an overreaction. According to a recent EPA report, “[indoor] concentrations of some pollutants are often 2 to 5 times higher than typical outdoor concentrations,” which means they have a significant effect on your health.

While indoor mold is worrisome, it can certainly be remediated. When done properly, the need for concern rapidly decreases. Concerning the remediation, the question isn’t if you should have it done, but who should complete it.

Should I do it Myself?

It may seem simpler, as well as more cost effective, to carry out the removal process on your own. It isn’t glamorous, but determined DIYers may be tempted to roll up their sleeves and get it over with. While there isn’t much harm in cleaning out small patches in your shower and the like by yourself, larger spots generally require more intensive work. In cases like these, we recommend you outsource the remediation process.

We understand this may initially sound expensive, but it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. There are a lot of reasons you shouldn’t do certain things yourself, which we elaborate on below.

You Can’t Always See the Mold

Mold isn’t always visible to the naked eye—if it is, it may also be in the structure of your home, where you can’t see how extensive the damage is. Often, when you can see it, this indicates that the problem has already escalated to a point where it’s a fairly substantial project. It’s likely that the mold runs far deeper than just the surface materials of your home.

If you see mold, chances are that it’s been there for a while. You may have heard that mold grows within 24 to 48 hours, but that’s only the germination process. The spores can take 18-21 days to become visible. These spores can cause allergies and irritation that can cause asthma attacks in some. In more severe cases, certain types of mold have been linked to serious respiratory illnesses. Although the various effects of long-term exposure to mold are still being explored, we know it’s something that should be eradicated as soon as possible.

Professionals Can Identify the Unseen

When you have inspectors come to your home, they can locate the fungi that you cannot. They have an in-depth knowledge of areas such as HVAC systems, insulation, and other areas that can house mold. They’ll test these areas using non-invasive methods such as swabbing and taking samples for testing. Generally, these are tested in a private lab.

They will also use other professional tools that may include moisture meters, humidity gauges, or a thermal imaging camera. The tools they have will allow for a thorough investigation that you can’t carry out using everyday equipment. In certain situations, they may even take air to test. Their expertise allows for an examination that covers all possible affected areas.

Household Cleaners Don’t Always do the Job

Unfortunately, the cleaners we have in our kitchen cabinets aren’t always effective in completely eradicating mold. You may succeed in removing some of the growth that sits on the surface, but even then, you can’t be sure that it’s really gone. One reason for this is because mold is generally a sign of a greater underlying issue. What it usually signifies is a moisture problem, which you can’t solve so easily by yourself.

Simply getting rid of the mold for a limited amount of time won’t do much in the long run. Additionally, we can’t discount the fact that bleach primarily consists of water—mold’s favorite hangout spot. So, in a way, you can unintentionally make the problem worse.

A professional is hired to do what over-the-counter cleaners cannot. As mentioned above, they’ll identify the problem and fix it with products specifically created to eliminate mold. As a result of meticulous examination and sample-taking, they’ll go over all the areas they’ve found affected by the mold and carry out the treatment to ensure it’s gone for good.

One last thing to consider is some cleaners, including bleach, release unnecessary toxins into the air. You essentially put one harmful matter onto another without truly solving any issues. Professionals will not only come equipped with the right cleaning agents, but the proper protective gear as well. They’ll have facemasks, gloves, and clothes that shield them from any toxins released into the air.

Finding the Right Professional

Once you determine that your mold problem is one that needs treatment beyond your scope of knowledge, you should hire professionals that can get the job done well the first time. It’s best to have someone come in for an inspection on the first visit and begin the actual remediation process on the second. Completing an inspection first helps professionals provide you with an accurate quote regarding the cost of the project. While this may seem like a big investment compared to carrying out research and doing it yourself, you can rest assured that you made the best choice for you, your family, and your home.

We want you to have the best experience possible, and have your mold problems solved in an efficient manner. For the best attic mold removal in Lansing, call Attic Renew today.

Why You Shouldn't Do Your Mold Remediation Project Yourself infographic


How Can We Help?

Minimum attic access opening size is 22 inches by 22 inches. Minimum 4/12 roof pitch for adequate space to access the mold and use equipment.


Main Office

Flint Office

6140 Taylor Dr

Flint, MI 48507

Charlotte Office

1875 Lansing Rd

Charlotte, MI 48813


Monday - Friday 

9:00 am to 5:00 pm


  • Facebook




bottom of page